At PM247, we appreciate that a blocked toilet can disrupt your daily routine, causing inconvenience and frustration. As a professional maintenance company specialising in plumbing and drainage services, we’ve encountered and successfully resolved numerous plumbing issues, including the often troublesome toilet blockages. In this guide, we will share our expertise and insights on how to effectively unclog a toilet, empowering you to handle common plumbing challenges with confidence.
At PM247, our commitment goes beyond providing mere services; we deliver tailored solutions to ensure the seamless operation of your plumbing systems. This guide reflects our dedication to equipping you with the knowledge to address toilet blockages effectively. Let’s get going and discuss some of the ways that you at home can use to unclog a blocked toilet.
The Definitive Guide to Unclogging a Blocked Toilet
A blocked toilet is an inconvenience that can disrupt your daily routine and cause frustration. However, fear not, as unclogging a toilet is a common household task that can be easily tackled with the right tools and techniques. Below is a series of steps that show you how to unclog a blocked toilet yourself.
- Plunger: A plunger is a basic tool that every household should have. It works by creating a vacuum and dislodging the blockage when you push and pull it against the drain opening.
- Toilet Auger (Snake): For more stubborn blockages that the plunger can’t handle, a toilet auger or snake is a handy tool. It can reach deeper into the pipes to break up or pull out the blockage. More on this below.
- Rubber Gloves: Wearing rubber gloves is essential to maintain hygiene and protect your hands from any potential mess.
- Bucket: Having a bucket on hand can be useful for removing excess water from the toilet bowl, reducing the risk of spills during the unclogging process.
- Cleaning products: Washing up liquid, anti-bacterial sprays and disposable cloths for the clean up afterwards.
How to Unblock the Toilet: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Assess the Situation: Before attempting to unclog the toilet, assess the severity of the blockage. If the water level is high, use a bucket to remove excess water to avoid spills when using the plunger.
- Use a Plunger: Place the plunger over the drain opening and ensure a good seal. Push down and then pull up with force, creating a vacuum effect. Repeat this motion several times. If successful, the water should start draining. If not, move on to the next step.
- Try a Toilet Auger (Snake): If the plunger doesn’t work, it’s time to use a toilet auger. Insert the auger into the drain and turn the handle clockwise. This action helps break up or retrieve the blockage. Be gentle to avoid damaging the porcelain.
- Hot Water and Washing up Liquid: Pour a bucket of hot (but not boiling) water into the bowl. Add a generous amount of washing up liquid. Allow it to sit for a few minutes. The combination of hot water and washing up liquid can help break down the blockage.
- Chemical Drain Cleaners (As a Last Resort): If the previous methods fail, you can consider using a chemical drain cleaner. However, exercise caution, as these can be harsh and may damage your plumbing over time. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and use this option as a last resort.
- Natural Remedies: If you prefer eco-friendly alternatives, try natural remedies like baking soda and vinegar. Pour a cup of baking soda followed by a cup of vinegar into the toilet bowl, let it sit for about 30 minutes, and then flush. This method is effective for mild blockages.
- Know When to Call a Professional: If DIY methods prove ineffective or if you suspect a more significant plumbing issue, seek professional plumbing assistance promptly.
Toilet Unclogger: What is a Toilet Auger or Snake?
A toilet auger, commonly referred to as a snake, is a specialised plumbing tool designed to unclog toilets by reaching and breaking up obstructions in the pipes. It consists of a flexible, coiled metal cable with a handle on one end and a corkscrew or auger bit on the other. The cable is typically long enough to reach through the toilet drain and into the pipes beneath.
Using a Toilet Auger or Snake to Unclog a Toilet
Now that we’ve covered various DIY methods, let’s delve into the specifics of using a toilet auger, also known as a snake, with the precision and expertise that PM247 Plumbing Services is known for. A toilet auger is a versatile tool designed to reach deep into the pipes, making it particularly effective for dislodging stubborn blockages. Follow these steps to master the use of a toilet auger:
Gather Your Tools:
Begin by putting on your rubber gloves. Ensuring that you’re protected is a top priority. Have the toilet auger ready and positioned for use.
Inserting the Auger:
Carefully insert the head of the auger into the drain opening of the toilet bowl. Aim to guide it down the trap, which is the curved section of the toilet’s plumbing.
Turning the Handle:
Start turning the handle clockwise. This motion allows the auger to navigate through the twists and turns of the pipes. Apply gentle but consistent pressure, allowing the auger to move forward.
Breaking Up the Blockage:
If you encounter resistance, you may have reached the blockage. Continue turning the handle, as the auger’s design allows it to break up or grab onto the obstruction. Be patient and avoid using excessive force to prevent damage to the porcelain.
Retracting the Auger:
Once you feel you’ve successfully tackled the blockage, carefully retract the auger by turning the handle counter clockwise. This action helps ensure that any dislodged material is brought back up.
Flushing and Testing:
After using the auger, flush the toilet to see if the blockage has been effectively cleared. If the water drains smoothly, you’ve successfully used the toilet auger.
Remember, while using a toilet auger can be highly effective, it requires a delicate touch and patience. If you’re uncertain or the blockage persists, PM247 Plumbing Services is just a call away. Our skilled professionals are adept at using advanced tools like toilet augers to provide efficient and lasting solutions for stubborn toilet blockages.
How to prevent your toilet getting blocked in the first place
Preventing toilet clogs is a proactive approach that can save you from the inconvenience of dealing with blockages. By incorporating some or all of these preventive measures, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of encountering toilet blockages, ensuring the optimal performance of your plumbing system.
- Adjust Water Levels: Check the water level in the tank. If it’s too low, adjust the float to ensure proper water flow during each flush, preventing future blockages.
- Regular Maintenance: Implement a routine of pouring hot water down the drain periodically to prevent the accumulation of debris.
- Preventative Products: Explore products like enzymatic drain cleaners and septic tank treatments to keep your pipes clear and prevent future blockages.
- Educate Household Members: Make sure everyone in your household is aware of proper toilet use. Educate them on responsible flushing habits to minimise the risk of future blockages.
Still got a Clogged Toilet?
At PM247, we recognise that dealing with a stubborn toilet blockage can be a daunting task. While the comprehensive guide we’ve provided equips you with valuable insights and DIY methods, we understand that some situations may require professional intervention. That’s where PM247 Plumbing Services truly shines.
Our team of highly trained and experienced professionals is equipped with state-of-the-art tools and a wealth of expertise to tackle even the most challenging blockages. We pride ourselves on delivering efficient and effective plumbing solutions, ensuring that your toilet functions smoothly and your daily routine remains uninterrupted.
Whether you’ve exhausted the DIY options or simply prefer the assurance of professional assistance from the outset, PM247 is here for you. Our commitment to excellence, combined with a customer-centric approach, makes us the go-to choice for resolving stubborn blockages and maintaining the optimal performance of your plumbing systems.
Contact PM247 Plumbing Services today for a swift and reliable resolution to your plumbing concerns. We’re not just a service; we’re your dedicated partner in ensuring the longevity and efficiency of your plumbing infrastructure.
Call us on 0808 250 4203 or fill in the form here to get your clogged toilet fixed by a skilled PM247 drainage engineer (UK wide service).